Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All is well in the African Sahel

One quick... and maybe most important update for everyone.... MY BEST FRIEND and HOST BROTHER both have passed their DEF and will continue their education in Bamako.

I called my host brother a few days ago and this is what the conversation was like:

First I need to mention that I had been trying to call Tidian all day, with no answer. I finally call at 9pm and he picks up.

"Tidian, what's up?"
"Bagayoko... how many times did you try calling me"
"A hundred... where have you been"
"Ba ko (the other side of the river)"
"I tun be monnikela? (fishing)"
"Yes"
"Jege sorola?" (did you catch fish?)
"Caman (tons)"
"So did you find out the results to your DEF? DId you pass?"
"Yes"
This was followed by my jumping up and down and cheering for him and saying a bunch of compliments in Bambara... he just giggled on the other end... He asked me when I was coming back and we discussed how we were going to have to hang out a lot before he went to Bamako (SAD :( but really really important).

Training has been going great. It is awesome to finally meet the new trainees. I can't believe how enthousiastic they are! Constantly asking questions, interested in everything. This is going to be a really great bunch! Too bad I will be leaving for site too soon. I know the other volunteers and staff will take great care of them!

We had a little break in between sessions the other day and my phone starts to vibrate in my pocket. I see that it is Bamoussa (the soccer player who used to be from my site) who I have been playing phone tag with for the past few weeks. I ask him the usual "so when are you coming to Nyamina" He answers with the usual "I won't be there any time soon" I asked if he was in Bamako and explained that "a kera fama ye (its been a long time)" and that we should "nyogon ye (see each other)" I told him I would be running some errands in Bamako and that we should hang out. He seemed pretty excited so I will have to give him a ring.

This is going to be short I will add more later BUT

ONE QUICK good luck to the new stage of trainees that will be headed out to their homestay sites! I remember this day vividly. This is the real real start of your Peace Corps experience! Enjoy it! GOOD LUCK

No comments: